Search This Blog

26 October 2010

I-search why

I search why
My reasons for researching this topic are purely selfish. I have found it hard to hang on to love in the way I want. I want to keep the magic alive forever (or as long as we both shall live) and not fall into that rut most couples do. I want to go to my grave with my deepest regret being that I can’t have my wife in the casket with me. I love being in love, it is what gets me out of bed in the morning and the reason I shower on weekends. I want to stay in love forever. In order to do this there are some questions I need answered.
• How do you know when you’re starting to fall out of love?
o Are there warning signs or does it just happen?
o What specifically causes it?
o Did you want to fall out of love?
• How much work is involved with keeping love strong?
o Some people say it just comes naturally, are they lying?
o Who do some couples always seem to be on the cusp of breakup?
o What is your greatest sacrifice for love?
o What is your spouse’s?
• What are the biggest obstacles to love?
o How did you overcome them?
o In hindsight, are they obstacles or just blips?
o Does everyone face the same challenges?
o What made you decide to overcome them?
• Out of X years of marriage, how much time have you spent apart?
o Do you have separate hobbies or interests?
o Have you ever lied to your spouse?
o Is there one issue that causes discord?
o Have you ever hidden anything from your spouse?
• Is sex tied to love?
o Are there “routines” or is it new and exciting sometimes?
o If you could no longer have sex would it be the same love?
o Has sex caused a rift?
• How often do you argue?
o Who gives in first usually?
o How long do the spats last?
o How often do you argue about money?
o How long do you hold a grudge?
o Have you ever gone to bed angry at each other?
• What’s the most important thing to keep in mind?
o Are there unwritten rules?
o How much advice were you given, and how much of it rang true?
o What should you never, never do?
o What should you do more often?
There are more questions I have asked, but I found them to be more ice breakers than relevant to my research. Not all the questions were answered by all the subjects interviewed.

1 comment:

  1. "I have found it hard to hang on to love in the way I want." But your wife still makes your knees weak! So--?

    These questions make me think you want to write not about keeping love, but simply about what happens in LTRs. Fair enough, but to make this into an isearch, you've got to come through more and better on your own LTR--otherwise, this is all going to tend to they hypothetical.

    ReplyDelete