Search This Blog

15 September 2010

worksheet


What do you want to write about?  I want to write that I have found the secret to a long and happy marriage but since this is a non-fiction course I shall record the results of my inquiries.
What do you want to find out about your topic?  I have family and friends that enjoy true love for long periods of time, and I wish to do the same.
What are your questions about the topic?  How much alike/unalike are you?  Do we all go through the same trials?  Do we react the same to them?  Have you ever given up the bird in the bush and was the result worth it?  Are you settling for less as a trade for security?  Are their stated or tacit tipping points?  How do you broach that subject that scares you the most?  Compare this to your first love, assuming he/she is just as old and wrinkled as you are now.
                How does it connect to your life?  This connects to my life in a very real way.  My wife and I are new empty-nesters, and this is a time to explore each other and strengthen the bonds (or tighten the noose) of our relationship.  I want to join the club whose members I see holding hands on a Tuesday morning in Eastport or a Friday night in Bangor.  Hands that have held each other for years and will continue to do so.
                Give three reasons you like the topic. 1) Regardless of the callousness I have shown in my blogs and posts, I am an eternal optimist and a hopeless romantic, and believe the human condition to be strengthened by personal relationships that span a large part of one’s life. 2) I have had the honor of knowing couples (both hetero and homo) who have lasted longer than I’ve been alive.  (Even longer than Fidel ruled.)   3) I want my great-grandchildren to come to my wake.
                Give three ways your life might change if you answer your questions 1) I hope it doesn’t, I’m looking for answers that will validate what I’m doing.  2) If I am forced to reconnoiter I promise I will do my best to do whatever necessary, short of acting out of character. 3)  I will be a much happier man knowing I can stop looking for answers I already have.
                Do I already know the answer to this question?  If so, I would have had a major book deal by now, wowed ‘em on Oprah and have Johnny Depp in my speed dial.  No, this is for my edification only.  There are precious few things I’m really good at that I enjoy, but love is my favorite.  I want it to last forever.

1 comment:

  1. I can't deny you anything, capt havoc--my only caution is that the writing will demand a level of candor that in any other circumstances would be a gross breach of your privacy. Without the candor, though, the writing will begin to get dear-abbyish.

    ReplyDelete